I’ve been searching for a while for the perfect healthy banana bread out there, and couldn’t find much exactly what I was looking for… until this!!
Most of banana bread recipes out there brings too much sugar and too much flour (even 1 cup of sugar is way too much for me). I know sometimes without those two ingredients we won’t go any further, but I stayed brave in my search.
With our “breaking healthy” purpose, I needed a recipe with less sugar or even better with no sugar at all. And I found this one!
I did a little change here, another there, and came up the best healthy banana bread from scratch I’ve ever made it. YES!
Here it is what you need:
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tea spoon of zest of lemon or orange
- 2 tea spoon of vanilla extract or 1 tea spoon of dark rum (I’m going to try with Frangelico, the hazelnut liqueur sounds very interesting)
- 2 cups of wholemeal wheat flour (or similar healthy options you might have)
- 1/2 tea spoon of salt
- 1 + 1/2 tea spoon of baking powder
Deliciousness stuff to add
- Flaked almonds
- Extra banana cut in rounds
- flaked oats to sprinkle
- Pre-heat oven in 180 C.
1. Whisk the eggs, and mix it with all wet ingredients in a bowl.
2. In a different bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
3. Mix dry in wet ingredients until even.
4. Add the deliciousness stuff as you like, cinnamon, flaked almonds, sultanas, extra banana and mix it to spread even.
5. Pour in a loaf pan, or any cake pan you have.
6. Sprinkle flaked oats on top and bake it for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, in a 180 C oven.
Have you got any other tips to improve it for an even healthier option?
Let me know your results, substitutions and extra tips.
I will love to hear from you.